Monday, July 6, 2009

Cancer


Today at work Ellen (my boss (who is awesome on another side note)) told me she had cancer. I had suspected it for a while, but it is still sad.  It's odd though, being sick with cancer, or another disease has this very confessional aspect involved with it.

The way she was talking to me about being ill, was sort of like the way someone comes out.  And I don't know if there's a catharsis for her in telling people like there is when you finally say "I'm gay" but I do think the manner in which you have to tell people is similar.  The disclosure is the most important part of both processes.

Does someone dread it? Enjoy it? Not care about it? If you don't seem sick do you tell people?  And how does finally saying "it" change the way you feel about everything? 

(I also don't know why, but this Eakins painting came to my mind just now, and pictures make things more interesting).

No comments:

Post a Comment